Woodruff, South Carolina is a small city located in the northwest corner of Spartanburg County. The population as of 2019 was 7,159 people. The city is located on the Enoree River and has a total area of 4.3 square miles. Woodruff has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in South Carolina.
The city was founded in 1851 and is named after Major William H. Woodruff, who served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. The economy of Woodruff is mainly based on agriculture, manufacturing and retail trade. Major employers include DAK Americas, Milliken & Company, and Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations LLC.
Woodruff is served by two public schools: Woodruff Elementary School and Woodruff High School. Both schools are part of Spartanburg County School District Six. There are also several private schools in the area including St Paul’s Catholic School and Upstate Preparatory Academy.
There are many landmarks in Woodruff including the old train depot which was built in 1889 and now serves as an art gallery; an old mill which was built around 1900; several churches; and a historic cemetery with graves dating back to the late 1800s.
Population: 4,229. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,105 (-2.9% change)
Males: 1,925 (45.5%), Females: 2,304 (54.5%)
Zip code: 29388
Median resident age: 37.0 years
Median household income: $24,824
Median house value: $62,600
Races in Woodruff:
- White Non-Hispanic (67.0%)
- Black (27.7%)
- Hispanic (3.7%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- Other race (1.6%)
Ancestries: United States (20.0%), Irish (7.9%), English (4.1%), Scotch-Irish (3.9%), German (3.3%), Czech (1.6%).
Elevation: 785 feet
Land area: 3.7 square miles
Woodruff, South Carolina is a small town located in Spartanburg County. It has a population of approximately 5,000 people, making it one of the smaller towns in the area. The majority of the population is white, with a smaller percentage of African-American and Hispanic residents. The median household income for Woodruff is $40,000. This is slightly lower than the median income for Spartanburg County as a whole, which is around $45,000.
Living costs in Woodruff are relatively low compared to other areas in South Carolina. The average rent for an apartment or home is about $800 per month and utilities tend to be reasonably priced as well. Grocery stores and other amenities are conveniently located within the town limits and offer competitive prices. Property taxes are also quite low compared to other areas in South Carolina and property values tend to be affordable as well. Overall, Woodruff offers an affordable cost of living with all the amenities one would expect from a small town setting.
For population 25 years and over in Woodruff
- High school or higher: 58.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 9.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Woodruff city
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 50.2%
- Separated: 3.9%
- Widowed: 13.3%
- Divorced: 8.2%
3.9% Foreign born (2.3% Latin America, 0.8% Asia, 0.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -200 (-4.5%).
Hospital/medical center in Woodruff:
- B J WORKMAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (751 E GEORGIA STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Woodruff:
- HILLCREST HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; SIMPSONVILLE, SC)
- MARY BLACK MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC)
- SPARTANBURG HOSP FOR RESTORATIVE CARE (about 18 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Woodruff:
- GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG INTL (about 17 miles; GREER, SC; Abbreviation: GSP)
- DONALDSON CENTER (about 24 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Abbreviation: GYH)
- ANDERSON RGNL (about 50 miles; ANDERSON, SC; Abbreviation: AND)
Other public-use airports nearest to Woodruff:
- SPARTANBURG DOWNTOWN MEMORIAL (about 13 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC; Abbreviation: SPA)
- LAURENS COUNTY (about 18 miles; LAURENS, SC; Abbreviation: 34A)
- GREENVILLE DOWNTOWN (about 23 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Abbreviation: GMU)
Amtrak station near Woodruff:
- 17 miles: SPARTANBURG (290 MAGNOLIA ST.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Woodruff:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT SPARTANBURG (about 18 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,041)
- GREENVILLE TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 23 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 6,157)
- BOB JONES UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,577)
- SPARTANBURG TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 26 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,086)
- FURMAN UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,915)
- LANDER UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; Greenwood, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,429)
- PIEDMONT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 41 miles; GREENWOOD, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,406)
Public high school in Woodruff:
- WOODRUFF HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 782; Location: 710 CROSS ANCHOR RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Woodruff:
- WOODRUFF PRIMARY (Students: 741; Location: 200 LUCY P. EDWARDS RD.; Grades: PK – 02)
- WOODRUFF MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 720; Location: 205 S J WORKMAN HWY; Grades: 06 – 08)
- WOODRUFF ELEMENTARY (Students: 700; Location: 915 CROSS ANCHOR RD; Grades: 03 – 05)