According to hyperrestaurant, Stockdale, Texas is situated in the south-central region of the state, just north of San Antonio. The city has a subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average annual temperature is around 80°F (27°C). Rainfall is plentiful, averaging about 33 inches (85 cm) per year.
The city was founded in 1876 by German immigrants who were looking for a place to settle and start their own businesses. Over the years, Stockdale has become a thriving agricultural center due to its location near the San Antonio River. The economy is largely based on ranching, farming, and tourism.
The political landscape in Stockdale is dominated by conservative values and Republican ideals. This is reflected in the local government as well as in the voting records of its citizens.
Stockdale Independent School District serves both Stockdale and nearby rural areas. It includes one high school, two middle schools, two elementary schools, one early college high school, and one alternative learning center. The district also offers a variety of extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs for students to participate in.
The town features several historic landmarks including the Stockdale Water Tower which was built in 1904 and stands at over 100 feet tall; the Old Town Hall which was built in 1878; and St John’s Lutheran Church which was built in 1888 and still stands today as a reminder of Stockdale’s strong German heritage. Other notable landmarks include La Casa de la Serna Mansion which was built by wealthy rancher Don Manuel Serna in 1890; the historic St Joseph Catholic Church; and the old Stockdale Opera House which dates back to 1890 but now serves as an events center for concerts, plays, dances, weddings, etc.. There are also several parks located throughout town that offer trails for hiking or biking as well as picnic areas for visitors to enjoy while taking in all that beautiful Texas scenery!
Population: 1,398. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,579 (+12.9% change)
Males: 675 (48.3%), Females: 723 (51.7%)
Zip code: 78160
Median resident age: 37.3 years
Median household income: $30,337
Median house value: $49,600
Races in Stockdale:
- White Non-Hispanic (51.5%)
- Hispanic (46.0%)
- Other race (21.0%)
- Black (2.4%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (11.6%), Irish (7.9%), English (5.8%), United States (3.9%), Polish (3.6%), Scotch-Irish (1.6%).
Elevation: 440 feet
Land area: 1.6 square miles
Stockdale, Texas is a small town nestled in south-central Texas. It has a population of just over 2,000 people, making it an ideal place for those who enjoy a slower pace of life. The majority of the population is made up of working-class families, with many of the townsfolk employed in local farming and ranching operations. Despite its small size, Stockdale offers plenty to do and see. There are several parks and recreational areas that offer outdoor activities such as hiking and biking. The town also hosts annual festivals throughout the year that celebrate its rich culture and heritage. In addition to this, Stockdale also boasts several restaurants and businesses that cater to both locals and visitors alike. Residents here take pride in their community, often organizing events such as art shows or block parties to bring everyone together. All in all, Stockdale is a great place to call home!
For population 25 years and over in Stockdale
- High school or higher: 62.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 37.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Stockdale city
- Never married: 18.9%
- Now married: 60.6%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 9.2%
2.9% Foreign born (2.2% Latin America, 0.4% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +131 (+10.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Stockdale:
- WILSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; FLORESVILLE, TX)
- GUADALUPE VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; SEGUIN, TX)
- OTTO KAISER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; KENEDY, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Stockdale:
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 41 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 44 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 69 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Stockdale:
- GLEN BEICKER RANCH (about 24 miles; SEGUIN, TX; Abbreviation: 83R)
- RANDOLPH AFB (about 29 miles; UNIVERSAL CITY, TX; Abbreviation: RND)
- KARNES COUNTY (about 30 miles; KENEDY, TX; Abbreviation: 2R9)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Stockdale:
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 37 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE INCARNATE WORD (about 39 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,734)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 41 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 41 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
- PALO ALTO COLLEGE (about 41 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,623)
- OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY-SAN ANTONIO (about 41 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,312)
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; SAN MARCOS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 18,822)
Public high school in Stockdale:
- STOCKDALE H S (Students: 239; Location: 503 S 4TH ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Stockdale:
- STOCKDALE EL (Students: 353; Location: 503 S 4TH ST; Grades: PK – 12)
- STOCKDALE J H (Students: 171; Location: 503 S 4TH ST; Grades: 06 – 08)