According to historyaah, Santa Fe, Texas is a city located in Galveston County, about 25 miles southeast of Houston. It has a population of 12,222 as of 2019. The geography of the city is mainly flat with some rolling hills and areas of dense vegetation. The climate can be described as humid subtropical with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Santa Fe dates back to 1873 when it was founded by a group of settlers from the Republic of Texas. The town was named after one of the settlers’ hometowns in Mexico and quickly grew into a thriving community due to its proximity to Houston and the railroad that connected it to larger cities like Galveston and New Orleans.
Politics in Santa Fe is largely based on conservative values, with most residents supporting Republican candidates at both the state and federal level.
The economy in Santa Fe is largely based on oil production, with several large energy companies operating in the area. Additionally, there are several smaller businesses that provide services to local residents such as restaurants, retail stores, car dealerships, and more.
Santa Fe is served by two school districts: Santa Fe Independent School District (SFISD) and Clear Creek Independent School District (CCISD). Both districts have strong academic programs as well as extracurricular activities for students to participate in such as sports teams and clubs.
As for landmarks in Santa Fe, one of the most notable is the historic Stancil Park which was built back in 1892 by local businessman JW Stancil Sr.. The park features several trails for walking or biking along with picnic pavilions where visitors can enjoy lunch or dinner while taking in views of nearby Galveston Bay or Clear Creek Lake. Another popular landmark is San Jacinto Monument which commemorates Texas’ independence from Mexico back in 1836. Lastly, there’s also Moody Gardens located just outside town which offers visitors a variety of attractions such as an aquarium, rainforest pyramids, golf courses, waterparks, and much more!
Population: 9,548. Estimated population in July 2020: 10,498 (+9.9% change)
Males: 4,699 (49.2%), Females: 4,849 (50.8%)
Zip codes: 77510, 77517.
Median resident age: 36.1 years
Median household income: $47,550
Median house value: $86,800
Races in Santa Fe:
- White Non-Hispanic (87.5%)
- Hispanic (10.8%)
- Other race (2.9%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (14.7%), Irish (11.2%), United States (11.1%), English (10.7%), French (6.3%), Italian (5.9%).
Land area: 14.0 square miles
Santa Fe, Texas is a small town located in Galveston County. According to the 2010 census, the population of Santa Fe was 12,222 people. This number has grown over the years and as of 2019, Santa Fe had an estimated population of 13,743 people. The population consists of a mix of ethnicities with the majority being Hispanic or Latino making up 82.3% of the population and White making up 15.2%. Other ethnicities such as African American, Native American, Asian and Pacific Islander make up smaller percentages of the population. The median age in Santa Fe is 33 years old with 20% being under 18 years old and 8.4% being over 65 years old. The town has a higher percentage of married couples than most other cities in Texas with 46% living together as married couples compared to 35% nationally. There are also more families with children living in Santa Fe than most other cities in Texas at 34%. The median household income for families living in Santa Fe is around $51,000 per year which is slightly lower than the national average but still higher than many other cities in Texas.
For population 25 years and over in Santa Fe
- High school or higher: 81.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Santa Fe city
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 62.0%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 11.5%
1.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +933 (+10.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Santa Fe:
- MAINLAND MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; TEXAS CITY, TX)
- DEVEREUX TEXAS TREATMENT NETWORK (about 9 miles; LEAGUE CITY, TX)
- CLEAR LAKE REG MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; WEBSTER, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Santa Fe:
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 16 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 21 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- BRAZORIA COUNTY (about 31 miles; ANGLETON/LAKE JACKSON, TX; Abbreviation: LBX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Santa Fe:
- BAY ELECTRIC SUPPLY (about 8 miles; LEAGUE CITY, TX; Abbreviation: T95)
- ALVIN AIRPARK (about 13 miles; ALVIN, TX; Abbreviation: 6R5)
- PEARLAND RGNL (about 13 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: LVJ)
Amtrak station near Santa Fe:
- 10 miles: LAMARQUE (725 OAK) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Santa Fe:
- ALVIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 10 miles; ALVIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,094)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-CLEAR LAKE (about 12 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,735)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 17 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,513)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 19 miles; PASADENA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,102)
- LEE COLLEGE (about 28 miles; BAYTOWN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,099)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 30 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
Public high school in Santa Fe:
- SANTA FE H S (Students: 1,322; Location: 13304 HWY 6; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Santa Fe:
- SANTA FE J H (Students: 775; Location: 13304 HWY 6; Grades: 07 – 08)
- ROY J WOLLAM EL (Students: 747; Location: 13304 HWY 6; Grades: PK – 01)
- SANTA FE INT (Students: 679; Location: 13304 HWY 6; Grades: 05 – 06)
- SANTA FE ELEMENTARY NORTH (Students: 612; Location: 13304 HWY 6; Grades: 02 – 03)
- SANTA FE ELEMENTARY SOUTH (Students: 335; Location: 13304 HWY 6; Grades: 04 – 04)
- GALVESTON CO J J A E P (Students: 5; Location: 13304 HWY 6; Grades: 05 – 12)
Library in Santa Fe:
- MAE S. BRUCE LIBRARY (Operating income: $134,674; Location: 13302 6TH ST; 21,965 books; 506 audio materials; 511 video materials; 13 serial subscriptions)